While eating a bagel at work, I came up with a recipe for a salmon dish, which is best described as a faux lox, which I have cleverly renamed as the IRRational ‘Flox’.
- Salmon fillets with skin
- Sea Salt/Kosher Salt to taste
- Freshly cracked Pepper to taste
- Honey Almond/Walnut Cream cheese to taste
- Wash salmon fillets with water and pat dry
- coat fillets with salt and pepper to taste
- heat pan with a little oil, and put salmon on the hot surface flesh side down
- cook for 3-4 minutes, or until a nice crust has developed on the surface of the flesh
- flip fillets and allow skin to cook till crisp (around 3-4 minutes)
- slather as much honey almond/walnut cream cheese as you want
- eat with rice, bagels, or straight up as it is
The creaminess and sweetness are a nice balance to the usually salty and crispy fillets of salmon. Being the cheap person I am, I typically purchase the ‘scrap’ pieces of salmon at 99 ranch, but this recipe works best with the better pieces of salmon. Hope you enjoyed this IRRational recipe!